About UsSan Diego High School

CIF Champs

Colfax had the ball inside the San Diego 30-yard line with a chance to take the lead late in the fourth quarter of the CIF State Division 5-A championship but couldn’t punch the ball into the end zone and fell 21-10 Saturday night.

In the first state championship game for either team, Colfax (13-1) scored the first 10 points of the game before San Diego (12-2) scored 21 straight points to win the game.

Colfax scored first on a 37-yard field goal by junior Dylan Garcia in the first quarter.

On the ensuing possession, the Cavers drove into Falcons territory before senior defensive back Zach Fejes picked off Quinn O’Connor and returned the ball to the San Diego 30-yard line.

On Colfax’s first play, senior quarterback Alex Weir threw a 30-yard touchdown pass to Pioneer League Most Valuable Player Jake Green to make it 10-0 with 9:10 to play in the second quarter.

Colfax nearly scored again on its next possession, but senior defensive back Jayden Wickware intercepted Weir and the Cavers took over on their 11.

The Cavers took over with 45 seconds to play in the first half and O’Connor hit senior running back Marcellous Runnells for 29 yards. On the next play, O’Connor broke away from a Colfax defender whose sack would have run out the clock and managed to throw an incomplete pass.

O’Connor then hit Wickware with a 34-yard pass and on the final play of the half, O’Connor hit senior running back Raiden Hunter for a 16-yard touchdown to cut the Colfax lead to 10-7.

San Diego converted three fourth downs on its first possession of the second half and scored on a 10-yard pass from O’Connor to sophomore running back Mo Jackson to take a 14-10 lead.

Senior outside linebacker Jaliel Jackson of San Diego sacked Weir for a 14-yard loss to force a punt that helped set up the Cavers at the Colfax 40 with 9:20 left. Wickware ran it 23 yards to the 17, but senior running back Raiden Hunter fumbled with 8:31 to play and the Falcons took over at their 17.

Weir passed to Green to convert two third-downs to get Colfax inside the San Diego 30-yard line but on the Falcons next third down, Weir threw an interception to Hunter who returned it 50-yards with 3:35 to play. Two plays later, Mo Jackson scored a touchdown on a 20-yard run to give San Diego a 21-10 lead with 3:27 to play.

The Cavers got the ball back about a minute later and ran out the clock to win their first state championship.